askSam Standard 6
The world's most popular free-form database
askSam is not a traditional database. It's a whole new way to manage information. Traditional database software is designed to handle structured data. It requires you to pre-define a structure and force you to shoe-horn your information into this structure. ...
askSam is not a traditional database. It's a whole new way to manage information. Traditional database software is designed to handle structured data. It requires you to pre-define a structure and force you to shoe-horn your information into this structure.
- askSam requires no predefined structure or field lengths.
- askSam is easy to use. You can search without learning a query language. You can create reports without programming.
- askSam is flexible. You can combine both free-form and fielded information in the database.
askSam is the ideal application to organise your information. askSam is a different kind of database - a free-form database designed for users rather than programmers. askSam makes it easy to turn anything into a searchable database: email messages, word processing documents, text files, spreadsheets, addresses, Web pages, and more.
Collect Information from Anywhere
You are now able to access more information than ever before - on the Internet, via email, on CD-ROMS, or in files on your hard drive. askSam lets you turn this information into searchable databases.
You can type information directly into askSam, or you can import information from a wide variety of sources including:
- Adobe PDF Files
- Text files
- RTF files
- HTML files
- Word processing documents (Microsoft Word and WordPerfect)
- Email messages (Microsoft Outlook, Eudora, PocoMail, Netscape etc.)
- Databases (Microsoft Access, dBASE, Paradox, ODBC)
- Spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel)
- Comma-delimited, Tab-delimited, and Fixed-position data
- askSam can also import documents scanned using an OCR application.
Lightning Fast Searches
information is in askSam, you're ready to search. Not only can
you search on the contents of fields, but you can search on
free-form text. askSam offers a wider variety of searches than
any other database program and some of the fastest and most
powerful searches you'll find anywhere.
askSam supports the following types of searches:
- Full-text searches for any word or phrase
- Wildcard searches with * and ?
- Boolean searches (AND, OR, and NOT)
- Proximity searches
- Numeric searches (>, <, >=, <=, <>)
- Date searches
- Fuzzy searches
- Search through multiple askSam databases
- Case sensitive searches
- Easy to Design Database Forms
Setting up structured database is a breeze with askSam. You simply use the Entry Form Wizard to set up your form. askSam Entry Forms are flexible and easy. Type in names for your fields and you're ready to go.
When you add a document simply fill out the fields. askSam fields can automatically expand making room for all your information. It doesn't matter whether you enter an extra word, sentence, paragraph, or 100 pages of text. askSam can easily handle it. This makes askSam ideal for storing notes, transcripts, and other textual information. Just type (or import) the information, and you can search for anything.
Turn Texts into Databases
Automatic Field Recognition enables you to turn information into
an instant database. askSam can automatically identify words that
provide structure in your information and use these words as
fields. For example, email messages often contains words like
"To:", "From:", "Date:", and "Subject:" askSam lets you
automatically use these words as fields. You can search, sort,
and even create reports using these words as fields.
Save Web Pages Directly into askSam
askSam lets you save Web pages directly from your Internet Explorer browser into a searchable database. askSam makes it simple to add Web information into your databases - just right click on a page, choose "Save Web Page to askSam" and select your database.
- Permanent, searchable web page archive
- Save complete Web pages - graphics, frames, & formats
- Integrates with Internet Explorer
- Add notes, comments, & keywords
- Organise pages with folders & sub-folders
- Save pages into an Entry Form
- Save single pages, entire Web sites, or selected="selected" sections
Create Your Own Reports
No programming is necessary to create great looking reports. Simply use askSam's built in Report Writer to drag and drop field names to the desired position on the screen. An askSam report can be as simple as a sorted list of names and telephone numbers, or it can contain grouped fields, field totals and summaries. You can even include memo fields in a report.
askSam gives you the power of a database without the complexity. No need to programme or learn a complicated query language. With askSam, you simply import or enter information, and you're ready to search. askSam users range from individuals organising email, addresses and research notes, to corporations and government departments managing meeting minutes, regulations, policy manuals and corporate databases.
|Platform||Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows Millenium, Windows XP, Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows 98 SE|
- An IBM compatible computer with at least a P90 processor
- 16 MB of RAM, 30 MB of free disk space
- askSam will run on Windows 95, 98, 98SE, 2000, ME, XP and Windows NT