Monitor Hard Drive Performance
Stellar Smart is a utility that acts as an "early warning system" for pending hard disk problems. The system is based on Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T). The hard disk's integrated controller works with various sensors to monitor various aspects of the drive's / disk's performance and determines from this information if the disk is behaving normally or not. File system data structures of a drive have suffered serious corruption or overwriting and data recovery software cannot scan such drives.
This drive monitoring software gives the current values of various hard disk parameters such as Temperature, Head Flying Height, Spin-Up Time etc and compares these values to a Threshold value below / above which the hard disk is likely to fail. The moment any one of the current values equals or exceeds the threshold value, the utility displays a warning of impending problems.
The fundamental principle behind S.M.A.R.T is that many problems with hard disks don't occur suddenly. They result from a slow degradation of various mechanical or electronic components. The hard disks parameters usually exhibit a gradual, detectable decline in performance and it is when a parameter value approaches its safety limit that the Stellar Smart issues a warning.
- Runs constantly in the background, thereby providing real-time information about the condition of the hard drive / disk(s).
- Provides standard hard disk information such as Serial/Model Number, Number of cylinders, and so on.
- Provides information on various hard disk attributes and also displays their fitness level.
- Able to scan and display bad sectors on hard disk(s).
- Scheduler to configure software parameters such as Temperature Warning, Temperature Update, and Log Scheduling.
- Maintains log reports of disk scans, disk status and so on.
- Can clone hard disks (that is, it can paste the contents of a potentially fatal disk onto a healthy disk).
- Provides graphical comparison of temperature fluctuations in relation to warning / shutdown levels.
- Displays real time 'Benchmark' graph showing the Hard Disk data transfer rate and CPU usage.
- Can test any IDE/SATA disk.
- Simple and easy to use, with no loss in system performance.
|Platform||Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows Millenium, Windows XP, Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista 32-bit|
- Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003
- Minimum 32Mb RAM (recommended 64Mb)
- Minimum 10Mb free disk space required